Earlier today Apple released iOS 10.3, which is quite a significant update for users. Maybe not all of it user facing, but the new APFS marks a big step for iOS.
The long and short
What is it?
iOS 10 is Apple’s next incremental update for iOS 10.
How do I update?
On iOS, go to Settings > General > Software Update and download.
You can read more below in depth, but Apple has added a Find My AirPods update, a new file structure with APFS, new Siri enhancements, more 3D shortcuts and rented iTunes movies now work on all devices.
With iOS 10.3 Apple has waited a long time to develop this new release in beta, it’s been two months since iOS 10.2.1 was released and a full six months since iOS 10 was originally released in September.
Find My AirPods is a much needed feature for any owners of the new wireless earbuds, they can be easily lost and don’t come cheap should you need to replace just one. It’ll allow you to view the last known or current location (if available) of the AirPods in the Find My iPhone application. It also supports playing alert sounds on them to assist in locating the AirPods.
Siri also gets some attention, the digital assistant now supports cricket scores, including the Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council.
Apple has also added support for the “Rent once and watch anywhere” feature, allowing users to rent a film on iTunes and watch on any iOS 10.3, macOS 10.12.4 or tvOS 10.2 device. In the past any film rented on a device could only be watched on that device.
Other improvements include a new view for iCloud accounts and total storage used.
How do I download?
On iOS, go to Settings > General > Software Update and download. You can also update on iTunes on the desktop.
Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail