Earlier today, Apple released iOS 11.1 to iPhone and iPad users, the update has been in beta testing for a while now with public and developer releases. The new update addresses a number of bug fixes from reports as well as patching the WPA2 WiFi encryption exploit, KRACK from a few weeks back.
iOS 11.1 is the first major update to iOS 11 since the release, we have had a number of releases shortly after the original was released, iOS 11.0.2 fixed an issue with the iPhone 8 earpiece and iOS 11.0.3 fixed an issue with unresponsive displays.
With iOS 11.1 Apple has updated the Emoji, based on the Unicode 10 release including some new animals, including a veer snail and a dolphin.
This is a large update and the bug fixed list is quite large, but notably Apple has addressed the WiFi KRACK exploit with WPA2 based encryption. Full list below in the release notes.
Full release notes
– Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
– Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
– Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
– Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
– Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
– Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
– Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
– Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
– Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
– Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
– Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
– Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
– Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
– Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
– Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
– Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
– Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
– Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
As usual with any iOS update, you can update directly on the device, by going to Settings > General > Software Update. All the devices which currently run iOS 11 can support this new update.