This week, we reported that AirPlay 2 and iTunes will be coming to some 2018 and newer Samsung Smart TV models and now from all the CES 2019 announcements, Apple have revealed that more smart TVs coming this year from Samsung, Vizio, LG and Sony will be supporting AirPlay 2 and HomeKit.
What does this mean?
Having support for AirPlay 2 directly into the TV means you’ll no longer need to purchase an Apple TV if all you want to do is AirPlay your iPhone or iPad screen to the big screen, the TV will just show up in the control centre as an option. Having AirPlay 2 also means it will work with the multi-room advantages too.
HomeKit information is down at the end of the article.
Which TVs will be supporting AirPlay 2?
- LG OLED (2019)
- LG NanoCell SM9X series (2019)
- LG NanoCell SM8X series (2019)
- LG UHD UM7X series (2019)
- Samsung QLED Series (2019 and 2018)
- Samsung 8 Series (2019 and 2018)
- Samsung 7 Series (2019 and 2018)
- Samsung 6 Series (2019 and 2018)
- Samsung 5 Series (2019 and 2018)
- Samsung 4 Series (2019 and 2018)
- Sony Z9G Series (2019)
- Sony A9G Series (2019)
- Sony X950G Series (2019)
- Sony X850G Series (2019 85″, 75″, 65″ and 55″ models)
- Vizio P-Series Quantum (2019 and 2018)
- Vizio P-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
- Vizio M-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
- Vizio E-Series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
- Vizio D-series (2019, 2018 and 2017)
And some will support HomeKit?
Yes! This is good news and this means HomeKit is quickly becoming a more usable platform. HomeKit for TVs will mean they can be added to scenes, automations and be controlled using Siri to adjust content and volume.
For example, you could have a movie scene where HomeKit dims the lights, closes the blinds and turns the TV on without the need for a smart plug.